Thursday, December 4, 2008

On Aric


My son, Aric, who I have always called, "Ace", had the lower half of his face cut off yesterday. The doctors immediately reattached it in what the they say will be a better position for his jaws and teeth, but right now I can't believe he was brave enough to proceed with this surgery or that he allowed his wife to e-mail me this photo (at my asking-I just had to see him to know he was okay) knowing I just might show it to others, or heaven forbid, PUBLISH IT! (I suppose all the Dilaudid is clouding his usually very sound mind) They removed the front half of his lower jaw and shortened it, realigning his jaw. They cut his upper jaw in two, front from rear, and lengthened it. His whole mouth is now being held together with titanium pins, rubber bands and steel. Yikes! My head aches in sympathy throbs for him. (Bring me some Extra-Strength Advil) And to think this is all after TWO rounds, and over $10,000 worth of braces. I think he's spent most of his childhood and adult life with his teeth wrapped in plastic and steel!
Now, (look, a new paragraph!) for the really tragic part of the story...NO SOLID FOOD FOR 6 WEEKS!! Okay folks, whom of us would be able to accept that challenge? And during the holidays! ***Note to my overweight readers: This procedure IS NOT a substitute for a healthy diet. So, I'll be spending my day today texting my boy and gleaning every recipe I can find on the Net for "Pureed Christmas Ham", "Turkey Shakes" and "Frappe of Green Bean Casserole ". Nothing's too much for my hero, Ace. Here's to you kid...

4 comments:

Big G said...

Wow... that is a very brave thing right there... I had to go to the dentist this week and he now tells me that I have to have two molars out (they are cracked and beyond redemption). So I multiply that pain and loathing by a thousand and I can almost get what Aric is going to go through... more strength to him.

Cindy, Please pass on my best wishes...

Love Gx

Cindy said...

I'll let Aric know you send your wishes. Hope you make it through your extractions without too much bother. What have you been chewing on to break your teeth, rocks?

Big G said...

Cherries.... the most amazing luscious black cherries.... mmmm cherry.

Artist Victoria O'Neill said...

Hi Cinsy,
How is Aric doing?